Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Why define it

I have two students who are brand new to New York, brand new to the English language, and brand new to what American has to offer (and take away).
"Ms. Kruse, what does L-i-f-e mean?"
"Life, repeat 'life"'
"Life. It means........?"
"Um, it's everything, it is what you do everyday...... it is breathing, living, but everyone's LIFE is described differently, lets use your French translation dictionary for this word."

Cause honestly...... I have been speaking English for about thirty years now and my definition for the word 'life' keeps changing.
No one's life can or should be compared to another. We're all living our own life and making sense of what our life means to us.
There are lives out there that I watch and think are beautiful and so meaningful, ones that inspire me to be more and do more and love more. There are ones I see and I am so thankful are not mine.

Today I am thankful for people that live life in ways that are meaningful. Thankful for people who side step society's expectations and live a life that makes sense for them, for them.
Life is a thing that has a beginning and an end. In the middle of that is when we get to make this world just a little bit brighter for being in it.

Time is so forgiving and life only makes sense because of time. People that don't live to love damage others but then time plays its role and life continues. I am continually astounded by human strength, by how we pick ourselves back up and keep having a life worthwhile.  Not just a life worth while but a life that means so much.

There have recently been some lives that have really impressed me and inspired me to really LIVE LIFE! Thanks!


1 comment:

Rebecca A said...

Love this sister! I'm so glad YOU'RE in my life! :)