Sunday, February 2, 2014

Reflections and hyberation


It’s the dead of the winter. Like, COLD. So cold that I was talking to a stranger in a super cute and cozy bar last night about how she flies to Florida on Friday mornings and back to NYC Sunday night. I learned, “it’s super easy, just need a credit card, and only one day off of work. Honestly, it’s just how I am able to survive this winter. It doesn’t even take long to pay off.” Her words exactly, as she sipped her $13 cocktail. She had good ideas on how to make this winter manageable.

 Weather talk is very much an American thing.  A Londoner I know really well, lived in NYC for a few years and was always taken aback by how much Americans talk about the weather.
We do.
I don’t know if it’s because we feel like survivors when it’s -2 out and we are actually still alive. Or maybe because we all LOVE to feel a part of something and weather is a guaranteed commonality with those in our neighborhoods. But honestly, everyone should just slow their roll because before we know it, it’ll be 103 with humidity that makes my hair go rogue and an imaginable amount of sweat requiring me to bring an extra tank top every time I ride my bike in it.

I do love the seasons. It reminds me that consistency can be defined however I want it to be.  That is liberating.  Change is really the only consistent thing we have going on.

I am dating a San Diego native. He is doing so well in this freezing weather and hasn’t complained at all about it. Maybe he figures I complain enough for the both of us.  

I am the least private person I know. I will tell anyone anything, pretty much. But…… I will practice some self control and not ramble on about my boyfriend on this blog. I will just say, this winter is a lot more manageable with my guy. 

So…….high five for the Winter. For how it gives us some hibernation time and maybe even a little more rest than the other seasons we have in a year. For the hot tea, mulled wine, and a hot toddy that all keep us just a little warmer and for some time to just sit and reflect.

This is my attempt at being a fan of the winter. 

No comments: