Today marks the day that I have lived in NYC for 9 years!
To say that New York has transformed me would be an understatement. 20s are such formative years that wherever I had spent them would have formed me tremendously. I am just thrilled that I chose NY or maybe NY chose me, but it happened and we're together.
I meant to move here for just 1-2 years but..... that didn't happen. After college I applied to work in LA, Suriname, Washington DC, Puerto Rico, India, and I think SF too. I got a few amazing job offers!!! And then I took off to backpack Europe with two friends for the summer.
I was back from Europe, school started in two weeks and I wanted a teaching position. My friend Liz (Bff from my childhood and roommate in college) suggested I move to NYC. She had just moved up there after graduation to live with her boyfriend.
In a few days I got a job, apartment, packed up a few little things, took out the $15 I had in my bank account and on a whim...... my Dad helped me move to New York City.
I was 22.
The city is magical. Watching the sun set behind the Statue of Liberty is something that can't be described with words, it just has to be seen. That lady has stolen my heart.
Getting fresh baked cookies delivered to my door at 2 am is the good life. It's a place where no one will judge your religion or spiritual life but will judge the hell out of your shoes and purse. I love that I can eat an amazing vegan meal by a renown chef, grab a famous cupcake, and then drink my favorite sangria all on the same block (I love you LES). Seeing the Empire state building lit up or sitting on the FDR watching the fireworks with some of my favorite friends in the world - magical.
The city is not all rainbows and unicorns. I've been flustered waiting in epic long lines for packages because I missed the brown truck and so did the other 8 million people so we all wait together..... we WAIT! There are times I've sweated it out, in the summer, waiting for the subway when it is 120 degrees underground. Or when my apartment got robbed and I didn't sleep for three months. So I moved out of that apartment, cause a girls gotta sleep, into what people in the suburbs might refer to as a walk-in closet, but to me it's a whole apartment.
In these 9 years:
I ran the NYC marathon and burst into tears when I crossed the finish line out of pure joy for my accomplishment, biked the century ride with my mountain bike and couldn't sit down for days, fell in love and four years later had my heart broken to pieces..... I picked up those pieces and dated Carrie Bradshaw style: a doctor, firefighter, architect, biology teacher, a lawyer, and a few wall street guys. I finished my Masters degree and earned my National Boards. I've partied till the sun came up and have eaten breakfast at a diner before even going to sleep for the night, many a times. I danced till my feet were bleeding, literally filled my shoes with blood. Moved all my stuff from Crown Heights to the East Village in garbage bags. (who does that????) Then lived it UP in the East Village with my roommate Millay. We would try and save the world by day (I was teaching impoverished children in East NY and she was working to house the homeless with HIV) and by night do everything that makes the East Village the most amazing place to spend ones early 20s.
I survived Hurricane Irene and Sandy. And by "surviving" I mean cooking for all my friends that were within walking distance to my Fort Greene apartment. My apartment was totally fine and unaffected. Saw the aftermath of a park slope tornado and summer earthquake. I've marched in the Halloween parade and did the Thriller dance with thousands of other New Yorkers to honor Michael's life/music.
I could go on and on, cause it's been nine years and everyday offers something amazing. It is the city for me. After nine years I still can't convince some of my friends to come to NYC, it's too much and completely overwhelming for many. I completely understand. But for me it's home and I wouldn't trade these years in NYC for anything in the world. My heart still gets happy when I see the city lights from a distance, it means I'm almost home!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Reading this warms my heart. In thinking of the good experiences Ive had here in the City, you are part of them! Even if it means breaking my phone to help you move your big ass dresser down two flights of stairs after having to take your door off, it was so worth it!
Post a Comment