Sunday, October 21, 2007

adventure week


I went backpacking with a ton of ninth graders for five days and nights. To say it was the hardest thing I’ve ever done would just sound dramatic.
My students and I had two outward bound instructors who had our week planned. One instructor used a pee rag, why waste toilet paper in the woods…. I guess. The only problem I had with it was she didn’t wash it until the end of the week and it stuck out of her back pocket all week and every time I saw it I wanted to throw up in my mouth.
My students did amazing! AMAZING! I couldn’t have more pride in my heart! They rocked the mountain and the sleeping under the tarps (they didn’t even get tents) and the cooking over the fire and the lack of showering. I actual wonder if I complained more then they did....oops!
My students got along so well…….maybe a little too well because a few decided that making out in the woods was a great way to help our crew get closer. “Spread peace not violence” was our goal for the week, the making-out sessions really helped them to reach that goal. Just kidding it wasn’t tons and tons of times, I promise I’m a good teacher and keep them under control....well most of the time!
Not showering for a week is intense…. Intense on so many levels. Intense for me cause I have white people’s hair and within two days it resembles more grease than anything else. On Friday I tried to get everyone to touch it cause it was the sickest thing EVER. It was intense for all of us cause we were so sweaty and smelly it’s a miracle no one passed out from being around us.
What an experience!!!!

5 comments:

patti said...

sounds like an awesome time, jes! i'm with you about the pee wrag...yo, we be gagging, for real cracker! i think i would've been brave enough to touch your greasy hair, though! just make sure you shower before you come out this weekend...ha!

merry said...

I would NOT have touched your hair. That is sick. the pee rag is sick. your kids are cute but you look sick.Just kidding. It sounds like hell to me but I am glad that you had fun.

Jen said...

patti called you a cracker. haha.
that pee rag is nasty. who thinks of such a thing?

Karenkool said...

So what did this pee rag lady do about the number two option? That's something I don't even want to know. Forget I asked.

Heather said...

Haha, the pee rag that is so funny and GROSSSSSS!!! But come on could you have possibly been stinkier then when you back packed through Europe you wore the same clothes for about a month! You go girl! Sounds like you had a great time!